Friday, June 6, 2008

Water Lilly's take center stage

To me this is the prettiest time of all the year for my pond. The moss is minor, the water is warming, the grandkids can't wait to try out the new rope swing out that we built last fall, and my lilly's are coming to center stage.. Right now the whites and the pinks are pretty much "showing off". In a week the dark red ones which seem to take longer but their beauty worth the wait...Kind of like sweet pea's which are also just today starting to bloom next to my house. Nothing is more exciting to me, than a "sweet pea", but today were on water lilly's and will stay there.

Also this year I purchased a couple yellow's and I can not wait to get them started as they are my absolute favorite color Lilly as I recall seeing that color a lot in the natural ponds of Yellowstone National Park. Also making its debute today is the yellow rose along the house that my wife Linda planted a few years back. It blooms from now all summer long until it frost and provides so many gorgeous yellow roses.

And that ain't all that's blooming around here either. I have blue gills and bass making whoopy in the pond the last couple weeks also. Along the sandy beach area they have with their tails carved out several nice "bowls" that the females lay their eggs in and then the males swim along and try to "bomb" these nest with sperm.
Gosh it all looks like fun, but I am glad God made us humans different and allowed a little more "up front and personal" with the lover stuff....But be it sex in the city or in the pond it's exciting stuff and life does go on....The Lilly's and the Fish expecially the "newly hatched" do have a great connection. The babies will hide among the Lilly Pads in an around them as the larger fish try and enjoy them for a meal...The dum ones, get eaten, the average get eaten by bigger fish after they get filled out a bit and just more than a hungry bass can pass up, and the smart ones get to make the nest and lay eggs some day or swim along and bomb the handy work that their little darlings provided. But eventually someday they will bite on our hooks and end up providing a really nice fish fry.....

Seems like these "studly" fish are kind of "swingers", as they sometimes bomb one nest, probably made by their "little woman", and then try and hit a secondary target on the way out kind of like the B-29's over Japan during the war. Well that's maybe where the Air Force picked up that trait, who knows....Well gosh one thing about it you have to admit my mind does indeed "wonder".....But its all Good, if God made it and he did, its good.....

Have a great day my friends....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have quite a rendevous with Mother Nature and the Wild.....no wonder you sign your name Happy Hoosier! Quite informative, I'm learning a lot. Keep the spirit going!