Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Linda and Larry Lillies

Well this should about wrap up my flower post in case you think I have gone to seed on flowers of late. But I had to do this one because I do enjoy two different type Lillies we have each year...They must be "taken in" each fall when it starts to frost and freeze and then brought out into the warm sunshine each spring and watered and allowed to wake up and "get going"...

And get going both of them do for sure. Let me start with the Larry Lilly's...Now I know that is not what the really are but I don't know what they really are called if you do send me and email and I will add this info...But they are fun..we take the pots in each fall and kind of cover them up and "put them to bed" you might say...They sleep all winter like a bear and then taken out in the spring and watered and soon they have spikes coming up...After maybe 3 weeks then lots of pretty pink flowers jump out in maybe even one night to greet you...Why are they Larry Lilly's well cause my brother Larry Lahrman has tons of them and he pots them up and gives them to his friends who may if like me just call them Larry Lilly's. Nice thing about them is the bulbs multiply as I guess maybe all bulbs do and then after maybe a couple years in the fall you can let them dry out and go to sleep and then dig them up and then make two pots of bulbs and share one with a friend...I do that now and then a couple freinds in Naples now have them...The Weithman's for one and last winter after I had long forgotten about giving some to them, Buzz said to me hey our Larry Lilly's are going to bloom soon I think...He even calls them that also.

UPDATE on Larry Lillies....a freind Mrs. Burkhalter was here last evening to pick up their brickyard tickets and she said I see you have some Rain Lillies...she said my Larry lillies bloom just ahead of the rain...no wonder they blooming their heads off this spring...its been raining...well that is the latest....

Ok now the Linda Lilly's are pretty special of course to me as my now passed 14 months ago wife used to have them for years around here. She had them even at our old homestead before we moved here. She planted them around her flower beds each spring, fairly large bulbs and then after the season at frost time she dug them up and dried them out and put them somewhere that they would not freeze and could also sleep all winter. Actually our garage does not freeze and that is a great place for them. Also we have a few in pots that we just slide the pot into the garage and bcak out next May. In the winter of 05 she was diagnosed of course with stage 4 lung and liver cancer and just did not have the spirit to plant them in the spring..I asked her how to do it and planted them for her. She enjoyed them all summer long and I then asked her about digging them up and storing them for winter...Which I did and then she passed in April before time to plant them...That last year the name changed from Calla Lilly's when I planted them to just "Linda Lilly's. And again this spring and I have begun to get so many that I also have several freinds in Florida and here in Indiana who now have Linda Lilly's blooming as do I....Why I even have Sweet Pea growing both Linda and Larry Lilly's....She understands as she was in my greiving class and knows as I do, that silly little things like this help a lot. Thanks for listening....

No comments: