Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Kousa Dogwoods/and good to eat

I have three of these trees seen to the right, they are in full bloom now as is about everything around here but these deserve a little press as they are not only beautiful but they are good to eat. These beautiful 4 pedal blooms surround a small green bud that will be a pretty good fruit next fall. I don't think any other fruit that I know of takes so long to develope..All summer these get very slowly larger and larger until maybe early September maybe late August they get to about your thumb nail size and turn a nice orange and look and taste pretty good. I found that they were edible visiting www.ediblelandscaping.com. It declared them good to eat and granted I did only eat one or two a day for a while till I kept waking up each morning and then my trust developed and I went for them...Usually while mowing my lawn the temptation is just to great and I park my mower under one of these trees and enjoy a few.

Why would I eat them? Well I am just one to believe that each food that God created for us probably has some unique charactoristic that only that food possesses. Maybe that is the tree of life in some way who knows or maybe it is the Morel mushrooms that midwesterns that have any sense at all, crave and desire so much. So much that they are even willing to pay 40 to 50 dollars a pound for. We find what we can and a friend and I did find 15 one Sunday afternoon and by that evening they were soaked in salt water, dipped in egg and then cracker crumbs, and then fried in butter...Oh my, "heaven comes to town", when all that happens...And thus while the season is with us a few of us including yours truly do purchase a few of these. Sorry I do not have any pictures of the morels mushrooms. Once they are before me I do not think of cameras, I think of the finished fried product that with a glass of fine merlot, and maybe even the company of a beautiful lady, well yes, Heaven does come to visit....




http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Kousa-Dogwood.htm

Cornus Kousa Chinese Dogwood
This species from China and Japan is much like our native dogwood, but the floral bracts are pointed and produce several weeks later in the season. Tree develops interesting bark as it grows and the showy fruits are edible. Leaves have good fall color. Kousa has few pest problems. It is highly resistant to dogwood borer and dogwood anthracnose that has been plaguing flowering dogwoods in recent years. Zones 6-8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ate some of those and puked for days! Just kidding, just trying to see if I could comment like others have tried.