Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rapid Corn Growth Has Started

With corn at over 6 dollars a bushel this has to be of course the prettiest field of corn this farmer has ever laid eyes on. You know two years back $2.50 corn was pretty much the norm for the last few years. Then the US finally woke up to the fact that our dollars and huge dollars at that have been purchasing fuel from none other than a lot of people who want us dead. So quickly we have Ethanol in the form of E85 which takes a lot of corn. Corn quickly rose to over 3 dollars and everyone was happy. Then 4 dollars then last winter 5 dollars and now 6 dollars and it is moveing towards 7 dollars. It is truly nutsville in these markets for all the grains and I have not got any answers except for the fact that the secretary of Agriculture should have released the CRP acres to allow corn to be grown and stopped the taxpayers subsidy to grow nothing... Yes to me this was a no brainer but that is government they can not easily handle no brainers.

But anyway forget the price is this not a picture of beauty to the right? And it is happening in a corn field near you right now. The corn seen in the pic at the right is now in its 6th leaf stage. Which means the growing point of the plant is about at the surface of the soil. In other words it could be mowed off or hailed on and beat up pretty badly at this point and still survive and continue to grow. Another couple more leaves coming out in the next few days and the growing point will then be maybe 3 or 4 inches above the surface of the soil and then hail would cause major damage to the crop. Corn has entered into its annual stage of very rapid growth. Believe this in a month from now this corn will be 7 feet tall and have a tassle sticking out the top and an ear emerging with silks beconing the pollen to fall and bingo we have sex in the corn field boys and girls.
Well I won't get into that miracle right now you kids are just not ready for that but I will later when I have pictures...Maybe by then you will be able to handle it all.

We are totally blessed here on moisture and proper heat to move this crop right along so far. To the north and to the south of west central Indiana where I live too much rain has taken a toll and way to many acres are flooded or maybe even did not get planted because of wetness that stayed to long. I feel for those guys for sure especially in a year that price offers such promise. But that is farming and we all have been there and it is what causes a farmer to dream stressful dreams about farming disasters and if he is smart it drives him to invest part of his profits into crop insurance for such years that he knows come now and then....

OK on my way to C'ville this am to learn all I can about wind turbines. so must be off... Have a great day where ever you are.....

I see by the comment on this post that interest is increasing to a frenzie peak on my upcoming article about sex in the corn field....I will take care to tell the truth and the whole truth and promise to not throw in stuff just to get an X rating for this blog....That may be good for readership numbers but never fear we will keep it clean...ha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be looking forward to my lesson on cornfield sex. Although I've lived around farmland all my life, I never did quite understand how that worked! Mary