Sunday, February 24, 2008

Bulldogs...Ugly, Persistant and Big Hearts

Never owned one, but Bull Dogs have been a part of my life for 62 years. As dogs go I prefer Cavalier King Charles dogs the best. I used to be totally into Poodles and they are really nice and loving also, and don't shed...My sweetie came with Poodles and I learned to love those dogs a lot and still do...But of late Cavalier King Charles dogs have moved up on my list of good dogs....They shed a tad, but they also shed love when they become attached to you....Great lap dogs...and the best part they seldom bark....

But back to those ugly bulldogs, well I was not at Dayton School too many years and I learned that we were bulldogs. It was who and what we were about. And as we got into the higher grades, well these bulldogs were everywhere, Sports jackets, class sweaters, note pads, logo's on the walls...We were the Bulldogs, the Dayton Bulldogs..

Symbols like that are good, they inspire you, they give you a sense of belonging, a fraturity, a brother and sisterhood...And after all those years my school meets each May on a Saturday night and we are Bulldogs once again...So logo's, symbols, whatever are truly good. As were we just kids that went to Dayton would be one thing, but Bulldogs that just says it all...We were and will always be the Bulldogs....

My brothers and sisters before me were bulldogs. My younger foxy sister was a Bulldog Queen of Hearts and was a full fledged Bulldog cheerleader to the inth degree...She took this job serious as she is still a cheer leader in many ways especially when the Colts or IU are playing anything even down to tiddly winks...I think she puts on her bulldog cheering sweeter, pops herself a big bowl of corn and does not miss a play...Her basketball star left her last fall but she is doing well a true Bulldog to the end....Peg will never quit....And not to slight my slightly older better looking brother Joe, well when he wore the gold and black dog uniform, they won the County Tourney and dam near bumped off the Broncho's in the Sectional....

Then Dayton became just a primary school, but still all my kids were and still are Bulldogs, maybe not as serious as 12 year BullDogs but never the less once they were Bull dogs....maybe still are...

Now I have two grand daughters that are guess what "Bulldogs", yes but the logo has been changed, and maybe for the better.. It is now a younger freindlier looking bulldog...he has tennis shoes on that are colorful and he looks like he maybe would just like to lick your face instead of bite you...

As soon as I graduated I joined the Marines as did a lot of my classmates.. Soon after arriving in San Diego Boot camp I noticed tough looking drill instructors with sleaves rooled up and big bull dogs tatoed on their upper arms...Had they went to Dayton? I hoped so, that would make us "friends". Not so lucky, we were so far from being friends, I never even ask...But soon learned the logo of the Marine Corps is you guessed it, a huge mean looking no nonsense "Bulldog"...They even take it more serious than Dayton did, they have real Bulldogs present on the leash at ever major Marine Ceremonial event. We were taught quickly that once you are a Marine this never ends, you are a Marine till you get your discharge, not from the Marine Corps, but from life...Like my sister Peg it never stops...So I am a double Bull Dog and I guess I like that, ugly, mean or now younger and friendlier BullDoggin is where it's at.....The catch phrase for the Marines is "No better friend for our Allies, but no worse nightmare for the Enemies of this Nation"..They take that as serious business, and I think appropriately so every Bull dog does also....

No comments: