Tuesday, June 8, 2010

An eventfull Marvelous Day (238)


I slept like a baby last night, cool outside windows open, slight breeze, AC OFF, you know you go to sleep counting nickels being saved and looking forward to a "new knee" tomorrow.....

Well tomorrow came and it was instant stress when I realized I had not taken my two coumadin tablets that are needed before surgery...I took one Sunday night but just plain forgot about the two for Monday night...I called the hospital they said with 5 hours to go before surgery take them now with a little water...down the hatch they went, stress was gone. Reported to St. Elizabeth hospital at 10 with all my gear, and by maybe 10.30 they had me relaxed in surgery prep room...at 11 they were done with 2 hours to wait before the old knee goes bye bye and the new one says, "here I am Jack, lets roll"....

Dr. Daluga, Lafayette's very best joint replacement surgeon came in the room to talk to Susan, Sharla and I at about 12. Probably had done maybe 3 already and headed for lunch..He said see ya soon...Well what he meant was he would see me, as I kind of went out fairly soon after they gave me something to relax me, yeal right...
Oh almost forgot Dr. Fisher Lafayettes very best anesthesiologist, came in maybe a half hour later...wanted to know if I wanted to go to sleep or stay awake with a spinal block? I thought about it for bit and then said, "would I be able to watch TV"?, he said "probably not,but you will hear all the sawing noise", so I chose to get knocked out...Daughter Sharla remembered that I was a half lung short of two lungs which I had kind of forgotten, he then fished out of me that I may have a little gas reflux and gave me something for that...Then he had the prep room nurse slip me the mickey and I never saw either one of them again....

But these guys are artist as I woke up in recovery about 3 not the least bit droggy or sick....moved to my nice room on 3rd floor at about 4, had a great dinner and conversations with my sweet pea and Sharla and Jeff...Got a great nurse Jacob whom I forget and call Jason at which he calls me John instead of Jack....Took a walk with my walker down the hall and into the bathroom twice so far...I tell you this day has just been up hill all the way since I got permission to down the coumadin tabs....

Tomorrow may bring some pain but not today it's near 10 PM so maybe I better post this and get some shut eye....But so far, things have went marvelous, prayers I think were answered and Healthcare has been delivered to me on a Silver Platter......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great news...and rehabilitation is half physical and half attitude. Sure looks like you have the right attitude!!!