Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Baby Fish Day/ No April Fool

Sorry Mandy, Gunny Conner and Randy Kington but time moves on and your pictures slip farther down the line with each post. Two or three days of fame is all that is allowed here on the corn and bean blog....Spring is on the way and there are things to be done before we get into planting crops. One of those things happened today and thus the pics to the right of the pond. Its April fools day but this is not a joke this really happened, I got into the pond with the fish. Well you might have known I would get caught up in the excitement of it all..

You see twice a year Farleys Fish Farm from Arkansas sends a semi up through this area and they park it for two hours at Buckles feed store on 4th street and we pond keepers show up. I ordered 100 black crappie a week ago but when I got there lots of guys were ordering 50 of this and 50 of that, and well I kinda got caught up in the fish shopping mode and did a little extra. I got my Crappie Ok and then I got 50Red Eared Bream and 50 Channel cats along with 1000 fat head minnows for something for the bigger fish to chase and eat until my new little buddies get acclamated into their new home and find the really good hiding places until they are big enough to eat someone, grow up, and get caught, and then as my fishing buddy said, "we eatem".

Well they put them in large plastic bags and I had 5 of them to deal with. Now the Arkasas water in the tanks was warmer than the April Fools day water in the Pond, so the drill is to place the bags in the water for a half hour and let the water temp change gradually. So I did that and I thought coffee would be good while I wait, so went in for that. The wind had other ideas for my large inflated plasic bags which were kind of like sail boats you might say. And I noticed from my kitchen windows some bags had left the edge of the pond. I ran out there and saw one about 10 feet out sailing away, and just went in after it...Got wet to the knees or above a little...It was chilly and then I noticed a couple bags in 10 feet of water and I used my head a little not wanting to get in that deep...All I had to do was wait until the sailing vessels went across the pond to the spot where maybe God wanted me to turn them loose and that is what I did. Nothing like an April wind and God's help with the release of baby fish.

The top picture to the right is the dam end of the pond where the Channels and 50 crappie got their freedom. The second pic is the middle where the three sailing ships left the bank,and sailed to the other side. Carrying the "pilgrims" to the other shore and thus the new home for the rest of the crappie, the bream, and the fathead minnows. Also you will see in this pic a new device that some of us mature kids installed last fall there on the dock. It is a swing of sorts that we will hang knotted ropes from and kids of all ages will then swing in pairs if they like as there are two of them out over the water and drop down feet or head first depending on how acrobatic they feel that day. It should be a fun summer for 19 grand kids and maybe even the author......and others....

No comments: