Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mulberry Indiana Sesquicentennial

June 2nd to June 8th.............


Have just learned from my brother Joe some info on the Mulberry Sesquicentennial. Will be held in Mulberry of course from June 2 through June 8th...With a Parade and fire works happening on June 7th...The picture at the right was taken of my bro and his now deceased wife just 50 years ago...I am not sure but I think I saw both of them in a western of the ear when John Wayne was hunting down the James brothers, yeal, sure I did they must have just took advantage or growing that beard for that and then a scout was no doubt there from Hollywood maybe...Anyway sure he played the second oldest James brother...The one that Wayne took out of the saddle with a single well aimed shot...

Well anyway that big word just means 150 years so that dates old Smallberry back to 1858 or two years before the civil war....Mulberry has been a thriving small town as like Dayton to the west both were put on the map pretty much permanent after the rail road decided to come right through the edge of town....They even had a car dealership at one time...Big grain elevator no doubt a black smith and I know they had a big dairy on the east side of town...I remember my folks stopping in to buy us a cone there and it was the best ever ice cream...Only problem with it all it did not happen often enough to suite most of us. Our farm was maybe only 5 miles west north west of Mulberry, but it is odd because we only went there a couple times a year maybe on our way to Indy to visit my sister or for something at Mulberry like the annual basketball game between our two small townships. But most our travels were through the little town of Dayton maybe 3 miles west south west of our farm and then on to Lafayette the major city in west central Indiana.

Well sure Joe will be on hand and while not with his sweet wife of a long long time I would guess you could find him knee deep in kids and grandkids at most any given moment. So maybe see you there at least for the fireworks....