Saturday, March 29, 2008

And yet another Hero for me.

I know I am getting a lot of them, but I found another today on the Purdue Campus.
My granddaughter Mandy Rutherford sister of another of my grandchildren Lucas featured below serving now in Iraq. She is in her second year in the Naval ROTC program at Purdue. Mandy will be a good Naval Officer one day before we know it. She tells me this summer after her sophmore year that she will spend a month on a cruise on a Navy ship. She hopes to be stationed on an nuclear attack air craft carrier one day like the one in the picture to the right. But today Mandy was the Officer in Charge of this event. The OIC the gunny refered to her as.

Her gunnery Sgt William Conner who is a Marine Corps Gunny and trains well the future Navy and Marine Corps Officers at Purdue tipped me off to this event while I was in Florida. He said you should try to be here as Mandy was put in charge of organizing and planning this event last year and it looks like she will pull it off in fine style.
The event was the first annual Boilermaker Naval ROTC Open Time Matrix. She got several surrounding Colleges to send NROTC members here today to compete in Marching Drills,Color Guard,Rifle and Pistol shooting, Basketball and Indurance Running. That girl was all over the campus today making sure that all of the events were happening as planned. Most of it was in the Armory but some were in other locations on campus. Teams were from Notre Dame, Ohio State, Miami of Ohio and Missouri and Purdue.

I quickly purchase a T-shirt that told of the event so that I would "fit in" and not just look like the Mandy's grandpa for this event...Tried for a picture of Mandy and I with our matching T's but she said there will be plenty of time for that later Grandpa...Well you don't see the picture do you?

But that is OK Mandy I got my shirt on right now typing this so what the hey....
It was a good day I got a little bored watching the shooting events and asked Mandy if I could take a nap somewhere... She said sure grandpa go upstairs to the midshipmans lounge and tell them to get out of there so you can take a nap on the couch... Well I did not do that I put my ear plugs back in my ears so I could not hear all that shooting downstairs and the bull being shot in that room plus the TV. And off to dream land I went..A little side note, I talked for a bit with a Naval officer from Miami of Ohio college today and told him I was Mandy's grandfather. He had recently been station as an officer on a US Navy attack submarine in the Pacific. He said your granddaughter gave an excellent breifing today to the visiting officers before this event started....yes it was a very good day. Mandy congrats on a job well done...

Check this out also....

http://www.trdaniel.com/Marines/index.htm

No comments: