Friday, March 21, 2008

"Back Home again in Indiana"

Well that has happened to me. I am here and Hoosiers owe me big time, as I brought them nice weather. The fact that a front is approaching and the nice weather will be gone is not my problem...I brought it, and they could not hold onto it, so I guess we all suffer together here. It is always good to get back home where my family and Hoosier friends are near. Always also good to go the other way in the fall and see again my Florida friends. It was a good trip it went fast I made it to a cracker barrel parking lot the first day about 30 miles north of Atlanta. I had free internet there climbing on some "Days Inn" wyfi and liked that and did some emails.
That was 650 mile of the 1200 so the next day the last 550 was like falling off a log and I got home at 5:30...I marvel at my "Co Pilot" GPS guidance program I have in my lap top. with an antenna attached to a printer port it takes constant readings off satalites and leads me to any address I put in it. I call it "Oscar" for short as it has a male voice, is sometimes obnoxious when I get off for fuel and get more than 1000 feet maybe from the designated road course. It starts telling me to go to the next road and then follow its course around a few blocks to get back on the interstate..When I got a new computer this fall and did a update download they did make the guy a little more user freindly. He used to just say as soon as I was off course "TURN AROUND" in a rather loud voice..Some one must have complained, personally I got a kick out of it, but anyway now he in a politically correct manner, just starts me on a path around a block that will turn me around and back on course. Any way he is so reassuring for a lone traveler with no "breathing" co pilot as any time a course change happens he alerts me at 2 miles out then again at 1 mile then at 300 feet and even a forth time right at the intersection.. Tells me which way to turn and what road to take. It is a good program and does deliver me to where ever I want to be.

Each year as I cross the Ohio river into Indiana I break out in "back home again in Indiana" the song. Now of course Linda and I used to do it together in a somewhat guarded voices as neither of us were really star search material. But now with no one around I let it happen, I put it out there, and hey it just ain't even too bad if I have to say so myself. And hey I know I am not going to be challenging Jim Nabors with the singing of this song at the Indy 500 each year, nor would I want to but I have learned most of the song, I like the song and so I sing it each time I enter Indiana after an absense of any time to speak of. No I will not come sing it for you, its just one of those things that they say, "you just had to have been there". You were not, you missed it.

Planting will start in about a month maybe if weather permits. I look forward to that each year as I do this year. Corn usually goes into the ground first and then the soybeans. Last year field conditions were so that I reversed that but as a rule that is the drill here. Then I will after a couple weeks of my hobby level farming have the rest of the summer off to do what ever I like. Will be doing some fishing some mushroom hunting, maybe occassional golf, in May after the 15th will take my motor home to Traverse City Bay RV resort in that city in Michigan and agressively hunt those big supposedly plentiful sponge mushrooms. And consider purchasing a lot in that RV park that many people I know in Silver Lakes do already own lots there. I doubt that I will do that, but I am going to consider it. Not sure just why, well yes I know why, because so darn many people have told me I should. So I will take a look, and take a feel of the place and see what comes of it all.

OK that is it for today you know of where I am so I think it may be time for a nap.

No comments: