Friday, December 17, 2010

My Little Christmas Tree (274)


I like my little tree. I got it at the Making Memories Tree Farm on 600 South near where I live. As you see it's only about maybe 4 feet tall, and I got it for 20 bucks, cut down and loaded into the back of my pickup truck. It was a really cold night and while this was happening I was across the street in my daughter Sharla's house drinking coffee with she and her husband Jeffrey. I used to own the property where it is located. The owner of the tree farm looked at the 2 acre parcel and said I only need one acre for my home, well and septic, what would I ever do with the whole extra acre? I gave it about a 30 second consideration and said, "you know you could make a lot of money and have fun growing and selling Christmas trees here".

And he does, every year now my daughter buys her tree there and this year I started to do the same. Have to talk him into selling such a small one though. He becomes quite attached to the little trees caring for them for 4 or 5 years and just don't like wacking them down until he feels they are at their peak. I heard last year he totally refused to sell some people small trees...Well that's up to him but if it were me and the price was right I'd not hesitate at all...But that's life, guess I was lucky. Probably did not have the heart to refuse the guy who put him onto the business maybe. Last year I just cut a red cedar out of a fence row that was kind of about this size. It cost me nothing of course, but they are not as nice a these short needled pine trees he has. But on the other hand, thinking back it is hard to beat the smell, the aroma from a fresh red cedar tree in the home. Especially if you can find one that has those little blue berry like things hanging on it. I remember many as I was growing up the only trees we ever had were these red cedar trees and when they are trimmed out and decorated with the lights turned on and the house lights out, wow, it just don't get any better.....

I used to set and look at those trees the nights before Christmas for hours on end. Walk over near them and smell the aroma from those little blue seeds, it just all smelled like Christmas to me...So like I say last year I was content as could be to just drag in the little cedar as messy as they are and string on some lights and bulbs and bingo the magic was back....

One thing I like about a small tree is it only takes one small string of lights and a few bulbs, last years candy cane's and your in business. Susan Claus helped me last year and this year attach these items to the tree... It is a lot more fun with two doing it than just one, not sure why, but it sure is....Merry Christmas.....

No comments: