Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas the Opportunity (273)

Well it is about 2 weeks till Christmas 2010. I have good and bad memories of Christmas past. Most of them good, the bad ones I really try and block out, but the older I get I really am starting to look at Christmas each year as an Opportunity. And I think a lot of people also look at it that way. An opportunity to reach out to others, family and friends; and even strangers, and try and make their lives a little better even if for just a minute or two. Christ of course set the example for us and of course His gift of belief of eternal life could never be duplicated or equaled but it is the example of how we can in small ways renew this happening of over two thousand years ago. It is funny as about October as the time nears I sometimes do not welcome it at all, wishing almost I could just fast forward into the new year and just skip it this year. But then, I finally get the spirit as I listen to the music of the season and it finally soaks into me that it is good. And that even though one may have blown it a few times it keeps coming back each year and the opportunity to embrace it and enjoy the season is here with us again.

For some of us, we may need an excuse to show love and kindness to others and it does offer that, the opportunity knocks each and ever year for us all. Yesterday was the get together for my family. Some could not make it because of the weather here in the midwest. The best part is just cooking up a nice meal to be enjoyed by all. Some special dishes, a glass of special wine, candies, like some bourbon balls we made that turned out really good. And then people showing up and greeting them with a Merry Christmas. Knowing we are carrying on a tradition that has been around for a long time and will be around for centuries to come. Gifts are exchanged and its the thought that counts no matter what the gift. I like small, thoughtful things just as much as other larger things. Larger things usually have to be put together and instructions read....So simple is good with me..I usually find a bargain or two that I snap up that I figure someone will like, but money is my old standby when it gets down to it. I figure everyone likes to give gifts and money sure helps them do just that so I know it is appreciated and utilized probably this Christmas season...

Also donation to missionaries, churches, Salvation Army, Red Cross and many others help with my getting into the Christmas Spirit of things each year. Giving is more fun than receiving, but receiving is part of it for sure..but the giving is the part that makes you feel a part of Christmas and how you think it maybe should be...
I wish each and every one a Merry Christmas this year, hoping it is a good one and that Christmas seasons to follow will be as good and maybe even better....It should work that way as we practice it each year, year in and year out....

No comments: