Monday, January 19, 2009

Two of my Favorite things in Naples....130

Hoosier Farmers in Florida don't take a lot of entertainment...there just so dam happy to be here that everything here seems pretty darn nice...Today though I took Grandson Luke to my favorite barber shop up on the trail...Haircuts By Joe Cool....

I got my usual excellent 5 to 6 minutes in Jake's chair...but always perfect, the guy is a wizard of a barber...but Lucas did not fair quite as well...we walked in and someone told us that Frank the new guy was pretty darn good...give him a try they said and Lucas said, "Ok I will"....Well Frank somehow did not pick up on just what Luke wanted...and he pretty much gave Lucas another boot camp haircut...Lucas ended up getting his hair cut "no charge" so what the heck, he surely got his money's worth and will be another extra week before he need's another...

After that I took Lucas to Homer Hectors' Military Museum located on Shirley Street off Pine Ridge here in Naples...I love going there as it is kind of a hang out for Marines of all ages, but mostly old timers....And Homer has about one of every thing in his antique and military store...He allowed us to "play" with the old BMW World War two motor cycle...Hitlers Army had many of these wild machines...A cool bike with side car and a 30 calibur machine gun to mow down anything in your way...Luke enjoyed setting on it as you see on the right side here...

I knew a German who lived here in Silver Lakes a few years back...Paul Siebert was his name...He rode one of these while he was a member of Rommels little Army in North Africa...The Brits finally shot his third tank up and captured him, much to his benefit as he was sent to a war camp in Canada and then turned loose after the war to become a very successful Chicken Farmer in Canada...I liked Paul and his wife Hilda...Paul reminded me so much of Lawrence Welk and actually could dance about as well also....

But the best story I have about him is taking my visiting brother who was a mortor Platoon Leader under General Patton's 3rd Army over and introducing him to Paul one fine day...I did not tell Brother Bob anything about him only that I wanted him to meet him...It was not love at first sight...Quite the contrary, as the accent just did not play well with my bro...I finally confessed that I had set this up just for my own entertainment and every thing calmed down...I just wanted to introduce a General Patton Warrior and a General Rommel(the desert fox), Warrior and see what would happen....Nothing happened but there were no hugs, maybe a decent handshake and a nice to meet you, that was all....

Tomorrow we will watch the swearing in of the 44th President...

Take care, God Bless America

No comments: