Saturday, January 24, 2009

Today in Paradise (132)

Every time the Thompson's take me fishing (George and Gladis), I can not help but fall in love all over again with the back waters south of Marco Island...Its know as the 10,000 islands. Doubt anyone ever counted all of them but its probably a good guess. These islands are small for the most part usually under one acre and consist of a pile of sea shells with mangrove trees growing on them...Mangrove trees are known as "island builders", as these mangrove can attach them selves to the bottom sand and hang on until a storm brings in lots of shells..they catch the shells and they pile up under the trees and an island starts and continues to grow.

I love these back waters the air is always so clean and crisp, the water is always pure and clear, and the fish are very healthy and so darn much fun to catch. And then maybe if one is lucky like we were today you have a nice fish fry just as the beautiful sun is setting in the west..I think it would be really hard to have a "bad day" of fishing these waters...

Well today the Thompson's graciously took me and grandson Lucas out there to enjoy all of the above...As per usual Glady kicked our butts...I tell you that woman is a true "Pescadora" (fisher woman)....We had five keeper fish and she caught three of them and the largest. Pic at right shows her with a nice Sheephead she caught. Below that is Happy Hoosier with a beautiful "Snook" fish that just did not meet the between 22 and 36 inches so I had to release him...But he was a nice fish and cleared the water a couple times after I hooked him..Lucas Cole my grandson did bring in a nice sheephead keeper...but my camera broke down and now I must turn to my big camera for the rest of my time here...it don't fit in my pocket so my pics will need to be planned and not alway have it with me...Actually the shutter sticks shut and will not open, maybe it can be repaired, I hope so...

Well we must be off to bed soon, tomorrow we are looking forward to attending the Marco Methodist Church and listening to a Marine's Marine tell his story one more time...His name is Randy Kington...It will be good to hear him again and glad my grandson is on board for this one....

By the way my grandson started a blog yesterday and today he has done his second post to his new blog...tape on it and take a look....we set here now each night as he said on our laptops doing a "double barreled" blog....

click here to see his blog





Semper Fi,

No comments: