Saturday, May 17, 2008

Mono Man has teamed with Mayo Clinic experts

Now your in for it...Your gonna know MONO like the back of your hand, below to get us started is something I got off the Mayo Clinic site today. What I am searching for is to find if there is a "season" so to speak for getting and spreading mono, A couple doctors and a nurse or two have suggested that April/May are good months to get MONO...other have told me anytime so that is my study going on and why I don't know probably because I need a subject for my blog, really who gives a ----. But I will look and see what I can find...just for you that is why, it is just for you my loyal readership...ha I know your excitement levels are very high...

Am a good week into my treatment the only treatment for mono and that is bedrest and good fluids...I am feeling better every day, and I got good news yesterday from Dr. Hagen on my knee...He looked over my MRI and did an exray and says surgery will be a 3rd option that we most likely will not need...He told me I do have torn cartledge but he thinks if I take it slow with therapy and start to introduce bike riding and some walking maybe swimming I am gonna be fine...that was good news as these two things I had going on at the same time a knee injury and full blown mono really complicated each other and the treatment of each...now we have them seperated and addressing both for what they are...At first I had myself convinced and maybe even been able to convince my doctor that my knee swelling infection had spread throughout my entire body even making my eyes bug out and turn yellow...Had myself convinced and I think he was even buying into it...ha But now I know that is a classic symptom of MONO in an older person...Thank goodness he ordered more blood test and got some science involved in this process and not allowed the patient to direct the treatment for too long a period....sorry Doc.....but you have to admit it was a good story.....

OK here is what the exerts at Mayo say on Mono in the opening page......
from the Mayo web site on MONO
...............................

Infectious mononucleosis (mono), or glandular fever, is often called the kissing disease. The label is only partly true. The virus that causes this disease is transmitted through saliva, so kissing can spread the virus, but so can coughing, sneezing, or sharing a glass or food utensil. Mononucleosis isn't as contagious as some other infections, such as the common cold.

The cause of mononucleosis is the Epstein-Barr virus, although similar signs and symptoms are sometimes caused by cytomegalovirus (CMV). Full-blown mononucleosis is most common in adolescents and young adults. Young children usually have minimal symptoms, and the infection often goes unrecognized. In lesser developed countries, mononucleosis is more frequently acquired at a young age, so classic signs and symptoms of mononucleosis aren't as common as they are in developed nations.

Mononucleosis usually isn't very serious, although the virus remains in your body for life. Most people have been exposed to the Epstein-Barr virus by the time they're 35 years old and have built up antibodies. They're immune and won't get mononucleosis again. Treatment mostly involves bed rest and getting adequate fluids.

........................................

OK its me again and don't you just love the sound of that treatment? BED REST and Adequate fluids...Boy there is a lot of adequate fluids around this house and a bed that just says stuff to me as I walk by like, "Hey I am here for you", and "maybe you should just lie down here and look at your grandkids pictures"? That one gets me everytime and in the sheets I go....I think it makes me sleepy lying there looking at them and trying to count them all before falling asleep maybe...kind of like sheep....well going to post this for now but will add to it if I can find any fact on a season for MONO, I kind of doubt there is as I think mono is a self inflicted ailment that while you are getting there your on a mission and after that you realize maybe you raised the bar a notch or two to high....

Later

No comments: