Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Corn is Coming in the Heartland

Well we seem to be having a normal spring, not what we are used to but just normal.
And "normal" is not what we really enjoy and prefer. We have been spoiled the last several years with temperatures that moderate in even early March sometimes and then we have been off to early summer weather. Not the case this year. I got a mailing from my friend Jim Hopf yesterday who is my former seed sales supervisor, boss what have you. Anyway Jim shows on a chart what I have suspected this "normal" spring that we are way under on "growing degree days" as compared to last year but that for a 30 year average we are pretty much "normal"....All this boils down to proof for me that Al Gore is a profit NOT and that the Good LORD is still in charge around here and that we are winding through our normal curves of climate constant change up and down that has been around for centuries. Well that gets my political statement off my chest for the day and so back to the corn.....

My ugly corn field is looking prettier every day. As you can see in the picture my mulch is in place to conserve moisture and protect the soil from erosion when hard rains fall. But you also see the slots throught the field, that my planter made, where my seeds have been placed and they are out of the ground kind of hard to see in this picture but if you look close you may detect a faint shade of light green that is corn plants about 1 to 2 inches tall, skinny but finding there way into this world. They are kind of yellow tinted from the cool damp "normal" temperatures we have had now for several days. Warm will come soon and with that better pictures as we watch this corn crop do its magic this growing year of 2008.

Still some soybeans to be planted yet but for now the soils remain too damp and we must wait for the perfect window of what is needed to place these seeds in an inviroment that will allow them a good start. That is it for today am going to Michigan for the week end to hunt mushrooms near Traverse City. Beautiful motor home park to explore and check out... And it will get me away from yellow corn and soils that are hesitant to become that perfect envirement that I am counting on they will be next week...Maybe will have a mushroom picture for you maybe not...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heck, I just wanted to see if I could do it. Sorry Jack...I don't see any little corn sprouts. I'll wait for the next picture.

Your Florida Nephew