Thursday, November 12, 2009

Using what you have including a son in law (189)

I did not know what to call this story. But my old antenna on my 40 foot tower was down to two CBS channels...It was getting to me, with Katie Curic as my only choice for the evening news "I was hurting" to say the least. She loves Obama and anything he thinks of to do and I fully understand the guy is a "promise them anything and everything" kind of guy. So me and Katie just don't mess well anymore. So I had to do something. My son in law Cris Post is an electronics wizard, works at Caterpillar here in Lafayette, very successful so this little job was really "small taters" for him.
But he said you know there is not many rods on that antenna of yours anymore it could be time for a new one and while were are at it a new rotor as they don't cost much.

So that is what we did and wouldn't you know it the day I planned to lower the tower 2 son in laws and my son were "out of town". So it was Cris and I and the thinking cap had to go on to work this out. Usually in the past 4 people stand by the tower and one on the roof with a rope tied to the tower and the 4 on the ground kind of "walk it down" and then walk it back up when its repaired. So instead we put the front of the loader against the tower and just backed up...it worked.

So we came up with putting the front end loader on the tractor and replacing the manual labor part. Then we usually laid it across the grain truck and then used a ladder to get up to the antenna to work. But while shelling corn that morning it came to me that maybe if I filled the hopper with corn to stand on that the height of this machine could be about perfect for a platform for my electrical engineer with a masters in business I will add, to perform his magic. Well as you can see to the right it was great, a well oiled machine we were that fine day and what a beautiful day it was.

And now the exciting part we got it back up put the bolts back in the hinged base and went inside for the test. Cris set it to scan the channels and low and behold I went from two very liberal Network channels to a selection of 29 free TV digital channels and I am located 60 miles northwest of Indianapolis. And did not even turn the rotor around to take in maybe Ft. Wayne or Champaign Ill, maybe could pick up 2 or three more? Hey, I am in "tall cotton" here now. I got the local fox channel, I got NBC and ABC and all the public and christian tv anyone could ever want...But mainly I don't have to watch Katie anymore worship her idol the current occupant of the white house. Actually CNN is the real Communist Network News for sure but CBS is leaning hard in that direction the last year or two...Fox leads the polls and for good reason....

By the way the corn harvest is progressing slow but good....the yields are about average in some fields, very good in the one I am in now and not so good in the one I did last week. But the main thing is its getting done maybe about a week left at the present 2 loads a day pace. All of my corn goes directly to the two Tate and Lyle corn sweetener plants here in Lafayette. And my corn having gotten planted a little late not because of mono or lazyness, but wet weather, is still carrying pretty high moisture content. Tate and Lyle is working with me on it and taking two of my wet loads per day and it blends in with other dryer corn that is coming in...they are good people to work with....all is good...corn going to town and now watching NBC and ABC and Fox....

Oh, by the way Veterans day was great, I do agree with Obama's assesment of the current men and women serving our nation. They equal the "greatest generation" of WW TWO...they are a great dedicated group of warriors...

And the nation is responding to celebrate veterans day more so than in the past. At noon I stopped by the" Applebees" eatery, and enjoyed a free 6 oz steak with some potatoes and veggies.
Last night I talked sweet pea into accomponing me to eat at the "Texas Road House" which was again free for me and on my way I went by "Mike's Car Wash" for a on the house honor veterans wash job. Then after dinner on my way home Susan called and alerted me that Culvers Ice cream, which she passes on her way home, was offering a free Sundae to all vets...But I had enough honoring for one day, I proceeded to my new "Denver Mattress" king size bed for the ultimate treet, 8 hours of rest....

No comments: