Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Very Sexcessful year

It truly was the year of the "easy" rain. 2008 will most likely be the best growing season for crops this farmer has or will ever see...If one was to write a prescription for weather 2008 would be it. Never that I remember have I seen a year when the grass in the lawn at some time did not "brown off" just a little bit anyway. Gosh I have seen years when it seemed certain to be dead not dormant. But rains later would always 'green' it up again but usually too late or too little for real good crops.

And the picture to the right is what we have here in the heartland of Indiana. The average ear seen here is 18 rows of kernals around the cob and the average kernals in a row is close to 40...If my Dayton School math is correct that is 720 kernals of corn on the average ear out there...So biblical writings speak of reaping grain at 100 fold, or 100 time what you planted, and this is 700 fold...At 28,300 kernals planted and growing per acres that is a "lot of corn"...My guess the final yeild will be between 160-185 bushels per acre...In another two weeks I should have that info to share..But believe me, sex in the cornfield that I wrote about in July did happen and happen well. Every kernal got polinated and grew well all the way to the tip of the ears....The soybeans averaged very close to 60 bushels per acre this year, not a record but pretty darn good, surely satisfying this semi retired, hobby level farmer....

So I wrote a couple times as the year progressed about "Sex in the Cornfield", and how that all takes place...As you can see in the picture this truly was a very sexcessful year......

God has blessed this nation again abundantly, why I am just not sure as we seem as a nation to move further away from Godlyness each and every decade...How long will he smile and graciously bless this nation? Your guess could be better than mine, time will tell I guess. The door is open for our nation to return and be thankful..That season is coming soon so maybe just maybe a lot of our people will on that day set down together and offer thanks for a nation so abundantly blessed that at times, we have to remind him of totally spoiled brats...Always wanting the latest and the greatest. I myself think that we still have enough Christian believers that God continues to pour out blessings for the most part on us...But as those percentages shrink each decade who knows when the scales will be off enough to trigger a new age?

Hey got a date tonight with a granddaughter, Elizabeth Plaspohl, a Purdue University Junior...We are going to hear the Presidents own United States Marine Corps Band in the Elliot Hall of Music at Purdue...Should be fun will wear my Marine Hat and enjoy the marches...maybe enjoy an ice cream after....Semper Fi......

Inch of rain yesterday, clearing sunshine today, harvest begins again tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Took my little girls to the concert last night. They only made it until 8pm (they usually get to bed at 8:30). They really liked seeing all the different instruments. Shianne liked the "jello" and Shay-Lee the harp. I think it was b/c they were the biggest ones and easy to see from our side of the balcony!
Mary

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it was a great year. Maybe now you can do Naples again for another year!