Saturday, March 26, 2011

Packing boxes for the troops and Homer Helters Museum (292)



One Saturday while I was in Florida, I had the pleasure of packing boxes up with goodies for the troops in Afganistan. We did boxes for females and male troops, different stuff for different folk...it was so much fun, can not wait to do it again next year. It just feels good....But this story is about a driving force behind this effort to keep the troops supplied with a piece of "home"....and that guy is a Marine I have come to respect and admire, that being Homer Helter, who owns the Antique Military Museum in Naples on Shirley Street just off Pine Ridge Road...I love going to his place, you can spend hours in their talking to veterans from many era's of this countries good efforts of keeping this world free for the most part. A job that continues today with little help from our allies as we are witnessing today in all three of our areas of confrontation. And then additional hours and I mean hours looking through a portion of what he has on display and forsale. And by the way Homer, you need a web site...I searched the internet and could not find a link that I could promote for you...get on it Sir...

Anyway the day of the box packing Homer has some guys in and cooks a big picnic for the help and his customers and friends that are in his Museum...that saturday as usual was barbeque Chicken, maybe the best I ever had, hamburgers, Brats, and baked beans all real good...see my plate in the slideshow to the right...Couple bites out of the cheeseburger all so good I had to take a picture.


I can tell he has put his heart and soul into this place and into service to his town and his nation...He is an honest to goodness veteran that I am proud to say that I know...Semper Fi Homer.......the bottom pic here is me on Homers German Side car BMW motorcycle from WW TWO...he loaned it to me to "patrol the perimeter" of my residence till we catch the no good crook that broke into my house...

No comments: