Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hardwood Heaven (160)

It's coming together, finally, I love the hardwood that is currently "going down"...
It's called "Tigerwood", similar to the golfer guy but no "holes in one", no long drives, just real pretty wood floors...Got it at Homeworks here in Lafayette Indiana at Market Square..they met the price that we had gotten at Lumber Liquidators in Indianapolis...So when that happened it was a "no brainer", we like dealing with local merchants, we like not having to drive 60 miles to get more or take back what is left over. And it is being installed by two craftsmen Randy and Brad Denham. They are doing a superior job fitting angles and taking care to place them in a nice pattern...I find myself standing and just watching them work and enjoying the contrast offered by the variations in wood grains and colors...kind of like watching a fireplace burn...I told them today I liked looking at it and then realizing maybe that was "good", as I have at least I hope several years ahead to do just that, "look at it".....

Sweet Pea is down in Kentucky playing nurse to her daughter Jill who had a tonsilectomy this AM....Everything went fine...She had a great surgeon and is now home in bed enjoying her "momma's" expert nursing and cooking...So anyway she is missing, droping in from time to time and watching this stuff go down but will be pleased to see the results when her "shift" of nursing ends and she heads back to Indiana later this week end....

Hopefully tomorrow I will again "roll" my corn planter across some acres of good Indiana soil...Wow what a year...12 days past the optimum planting date of May 10th...So yield is being lost most likely, but what's one to do but get it in the ground as soon as possible, but wisely patiently waiting for proper soil conditions...But the 35 acres I planted a few days back may have to be replanted as it is curling and leafing out under the soil...those hard rains just put to much of a "crust" on the top inch of soil...some of the plants are strong enough to "spike" through the crust and into the sunlight but a lot of them and maybe to many of them are curling under that crust and unfurling the first leaf...Once that happens its not going to come through no matter what...So my plan is to proceed and plant the unplanted acres first then to assess the situation at that time...IF it is as bad as I think it may be I will tear it up and replant....

Actually this is rare to have to do this, its been a long time since I replanted anything....Well its time to retire and refresh....like dad occasionally said "jokingly",
"well Son, we did not get much done today, but we will give it hell tomorrow"...

No comments: