Sunday, May 3, 2009

Don't get any better than this...(157)

The Mushroom "perfect storm" senereo has hit the hoosierland...for you aliens that is Indiana...the very best of "any old state in the land"....stealing a line from a song I learned at 4H camp titled "We are the Hoosiers of Hoosierland"......

Well this has been an exciting day for sweet pea and me...we both worked our butts off today, she mulching at her house, and me laying floor tile at mine. Then as she "napped", well I took in a tournement baseball game at Loeb stadium today...My grandson Nathan Russell was on the mound, and they beat CC 9 to zip in the 7 innings.
Nate is in the 8th grade, his dad thinks there is a very good chance he will make the colt league next year.. I hope so...But sorry Nate this blog ain't about you its about mushrooms...grandpa's mushrooms that happened after I left the game...

Yep I told sweet pea, hey I know we are both busier than cats trying to cover poop on a tin roof, but this is mushroom season and we have had plenty of rain and some heat.. it is the "perfect storm" as far as mushroom seasons go, we can not let this go by, we need to be "out there in those woods lookin"....she bought the idea and I picked her up and we headed to one of our favorite spots...and at the right side of the page you can see the cause of my excitement today...a whopping 9 inch yellow sponge mushroom. We found 16 all total, varying from 2 to 9 inches, a couple were 7 inches tall..anyway so you will know there was no trick photography involved I brought out a Coor's light bottle of beer...we all know they measure a full 9 inches and this super roony is ever bit as long...So my fellow Hoosiers, we have about another week yet of our roon season ahead of us...get your asses off the couch and get into a woods somewhere. Walk slow and look around, they can be about anywere...

OK..tomorrow night one big feast with shrimp and asparagus saltaed with Olive Oil, butter and chives...
Chef Jack at the stove helm, I like to spoil Mrs. P from time to time, I call it "princess time"...PT for short....she eats it up.....

While we were picking these in the woods a text message came from my daughter Sherry, it was the first time I ever got a message like that...I opened it and it was a picture of a big yellow sponge but only a 7 incher not even close to our big 9er....Seems her hubby Todd found about 40 today up here near Lafayette...and most of them in one big patch she told me...that had to been pretty darn exciting...

Good night all.....Life is good in Indiana

2 comments:

FL Nephew said...

Well, I can almost taste these...but only after they are soaked, breaded with flour and pan fried. The shrimp and asparagus sounds kind of yuppish!

Carol the Dabbler said...

"Indiana...the very best of 'any old state in the land'....stealing a line from a song I learned at 4H camp titled 'We are the Hoosiers of Hoosierland'......"

Hey, I remember that song from my 4-H days, circa 1960. And it seems to me that the tune may have been borrowed from some other song, but I can't seem to place it. Can anyone help?