Tuesday, November 27, 2012

347 My New Cheverolet Truck, and how they did it.


Well it all started so innocently last week.  I recieved in the mail an invitation from Chevrolet to come in and drive a new pick up truck just like I already had.  And here is the big motivator they would give me a visa card worth 50 dollars. So I thought to myself, you know it would really be dirty pool so to speak to do this to them.  I just changed oil on my truck the day before. I had a few months yet to go before I needed new tires and my truck was perfect in everyway.  But then I reconsidered that hey this is probably some extra Obama money they had lying around and what the heck I could use the 50 maybe for my next oil change and lube job. So the next day which was last tuesday I stopped by the dealership in Lafayette Indiana. I walked in and headed up to the front desk and they of course asked if they could help me.  I said, "yes if you want to, as I got this offer in the mail yesterday to come drive a new truck and they would give me 50 bucks"..."I assume", I said, "that Chevy wants to increase your showroom traffic with this mailing, but I can assure you I am not the least bit interested in trading, just getting the 50 bucks.  They said they understand and appreciate my stopping by and being honest. The sales manager said, "will you drive a new truck"?  I said, "yeal I will just to make this an honest venture".  So he asked a salesman named Matt Ellis to go out and get a Silverado and bring it up for me to drive.  I did that, took it for about a 4 mile trip around the block and decided it was driving exactly and looked almost identical to my 2008 Silverado.  It was 5 years newer was all.  Got back to the dealership and handed them the keys. They said did you like it and I said sure it drove just like the one I got. He said would like to know what it may cost to trade up. I said not really but, hey I have come this far, yeal go ahead and tell me and it will give me something to think about maybe in days ahead...I still was not interested just curious I guess.  They gave me a price of something like 13,000 dollars which to be truthful did surprise me.  I thought it would be more like 16 or 18,000 I guess...I told them thank you and that before I left the dealership that I would walk around their inventory and just look although I really was not all that excited about the thought of trading.


Well while I was out there I ran across this little diamond white truck with a beige leather interior. However it was about 4000 more list price than the one I had driven. I asked when I went back in how much more that one would be and I think he gave me a price of about 16000.  I left and went home figuring yes it would be nice but give it a couple days and I will let reality sink in and have this behind me.

Well after a couple days the new car bug must have bitten me and I thought to myself I would go back in and see how low I could maybe get these guys and how bad they really wanted to sell a vehicle.  So before doing that I decide to stop by the GMC dealership as their trucks are identical to the Chevy's and built on the same assembly line.  They were a little more professional than I liked, taking way to much time to appraise my car and get the info to me I needed. They took maybe 3 hours to do what the Chevy people had done in 30 minutes. Their price was considerable higher but tempting me with a possible lower price if that is what it would take to sell me a truck.  I really like the Chevy emblem on the front and back a lot more than the GMC for sure so I headed back over to Chevy Land.....

All said and done you can see above what happened.  My beloved Silver 2008 Silverado got surveyed, (a Marine terminology for traded) and I now am the proud owner of the Diamond White 2013 Silverado.  I moved up to leather and many cool things like bluetooth for my phone, adjustable peddles, back up beeper,  remote starting, and much much more...I am having a few more options added to the truck later this week.  When I arrived to pick it up today they surprised me with yet another 500 dollar discount they had almost forgotten about...that impressed me a lot, so I decided to add some more cool items and repay them with extra business.  I think some dealerships would have by hook or by crook kept that 500 in the deal and not passed it on to me...One thing new I like is they are now using sythentic oil which can go longer between changes and makes your engine last even longer.

A happy proud Chevy owner tonight I am......And all because some clown at Chevy decided to give me a 50 dollar Visa card....And I went for it....So in this case maybe obamabucks did stimulate the economy.

















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful. Loved my Chevy trucks but love my Rams too.