Tuesday, July 24, 2012

342 County Fair 2012

Spent the last two mornings at the Tippecanoe County Fair. Granddaughters Haylee and Brooklynn had goats and Haylee had a duck, and Brook had a photography entry that she enjoyed doing. This chicken looked pretty funny to me. Could not help adding him to the blog...He seemed anxious to give me his best shot. Not sure who does his or her hair but it is awesome.
Ran onto this fine lad at the fair today. He is my great grandson John Capecci...His parents Ryan and Lilly also spent some time at the fair this week. I think John is headed to be a 4H member some day ahead. We were hanging out in the Goat Tent waiting on the various judging events to take place in the Chicken and Duck barn.
I always enjoy going at least one day to the local county fair. As I was once a 4H member showing pigs and also having forestry, garden and soil conservation projects, I always enjoy a trip past those current project and reminising about those days gone by. It was good training as it did develope much interest in trees and in soil conservation. The pigs well, I tried those but it did not jell for me in my farming so I abandoned them. But Soil Conservation is something that most all farmers are interested in, sooner or later. I remember one of my first years of it in 4H was to collect a fruit jar of water running down a steam after a big rain. And it was amazing when it was allowed to settle to see the silt or soil that the water contained. It has made me prone to waterways that slow erosion on the land I farm. Trees I have enjoyed planting for windbreaks and beauty. I have always enjoyed planning tree plantings and my plan usually is saying to my self while doing it how would these have been placed maybe if God was doing it. Maybe he gave me insight and maybe not but they have turned out well. No nice straight rows except maybe in windbreak plantings but randomly placed like nature or "God" may have done it.
Haylees duck seen here after the show. This is the female she also had a male subject in the next cage. I think the plan is to release them to the wild here at my pond next week...trying to get them to adjust is a major problem here...they usually just fly away which is not to smart since we usually try and feed them for a few days till they get on a bug catching diet.
Note the little gal Ella to the right side here...Susan's little granddaughter, who experienced here 4 month shots today...I guess a little crying happened and some real disappointment on that face as you can see...

No comments: