Thursday, March 15, 2012

335 Farming here we come.....



Well this weather is nice, almost to the point of being boringly nice. Here it is mid March. Should still be getting cold spells and a few hints of spring. Instead they are predicting 70 and 80 for the rest of the month. That will take us to April when farmers start to plant crops. So I am thinking planters will roll come next week. Why not? If it going to be warm till April it probably will go right into spring...Yes I think we will see corn and beans planted this month and starting as early as Monday. We will see but if I have to I may just plant a few beans myself just to prove my point. I remember a farmer planting beans on March 14th about 20 years back and they did real well...and I am sure corn will be in the ground next week also in many area's of our state.

This surely is my favorite time of the year. I love it when winter dies away and things start to grow and green up. Buds come out on the trees, flowers bloom, grass grows and mowers roll. The smell of new mown grass that first time over, there is just nothing like it..Well for New York City people maybe not, but for Hoosiers that is where it's at for sure....

I remember as a kid getting out for the first time and walking along the little stream that wound its way through our farm. Just looking at things in the water. Maybe launching a few short sticks that were pretend boats and watching them work their way down stream. It don't take much to entertain and Indiana farm boy you know.
But it was great especially those early days of spring. Frogs would start to make their froggy sounds that are so familiar but don't ask me to reproduce it. We had a swampy area about a half mile west of our house. I remember lying in bed those first nights you could open the windows and listening to those crazy frogs. There must have been thousands of them all competing, finally putting me to sleep.

Today I saw a pair of ducks on my pond. I hope they are about raising a family here, as I have not had any baby ducks here to watch for maybe 6 or 8 years. I keep hoping, I saw them come out of some tall weeds before they went into the water, maybe they were making whoppee, we will see in a few weeks. And the pond does provide a few of the froggy guys to help me reminise of those early years. I got a few giant bull frogs and they are fun to listen to.

Anyway glad that spring seems to have sprung here in the midwest, I think farmers will be about the farming business real soon..the pictures above are what I will be doing next week with the farming and also a pic of a nice white crane from 3 years back in my pond...and that is about it from Lake Wobegon for tonight, where the women are strong, the men real good looking and all the children are above average.....

No comments: