Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Last of the really great Oldsmobiles (284)

Yes the 50's were indeed the golden era for the automobile industry. Almost every year or at least every other year a complete remake of the cars. Only 1958 was sort of a regression I would say..those 58 cars were just butt ugly compared to the years previous..But they recovered well in 1959 and made them low and long and sleek and again in 1960 as you see here with my Oldsmobile convertible...But in 1961 Detroit went backward again in my opinion with the 61 Oldsmobiles...But the 62 through 64 were all beautiful cars as well...
Seen to the left here is me and my most favorite Oldsmobile I guess...I bought it new at the dealership in Monticello Indiana...the red leather interior was a nice contrast to the white paint of the car itself. It drove and rode like a dream. I had it two years, should have never parted with it but when the kids started coming I knew I needed to get something maybe a little safer for a family to ride in...traded it for a 62 Chevy probably the dumest trade I ever made...I knew a week later, well lets just say a week later I missed the car.
My Buddy Bob Roberts purchased one the same color a couple months later...we were twins with our white olds convertible...I miss Bob he died maybe 3 or 4 years back...My gal friend at the time Susan Stair purchased a blue one also...they were a very popular car in 1960...Oldsmobiles must have rusted out badly as you don't see many of them at the antique car shows each year...once in a while but mostly you see the Fords and Chevy's of the era...I miss all three of my Oldsmobiles I have written about here and it has been fun sharing them with you all...Next blog story in a few days is about the US space station and shuttle we built to haul all that stuff up there...over to the right is a preview of the shuttle being constructed..click on and take a peak...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Jack this is the only car that I remember you having but I thought you must have owned it when you were still enlisted because I have this vivid memory of you in your uniform with this car at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Could that have happened or am I mixing up memories? As you know, I was a very young girl at the time and totally impressed with both the uniform and convertible which I'm sure girls older than I also were! So, did you by that car because of it's smooth ride or to just be smooth?!

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous, Definately both, I loved the smooth lines of this car and figured after experiencing the smooth ride that I would be pretty smooth behind the wheel....I do have a pic of me in my uniform with the Ritchie kids beside me in my folks front yard...but it was the first Olds the 1953 just before it got sold....send me an email and I will send it to you...

Anonymous said...

Remember that car well. Beautiful.