Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Making a Fireplace Mantel (269)


A few years back we took 3 grand kids to visit the Lincoln Boyhood home near Santa Clause Indiana. It was great seeing and walking in the woods that our own Abe Lincoln used to work and play in. Seeing his mothers grave there on a small hill in the woods.
But my best remembrance was watching two young men cut and shape big logs into square logs that were to be used in rebuilding the Lincoln home on the exact spot it had been many years ago. I had always been interested in how they did it and there it was happening right before my eyes. Well as you know a year ago I added a fireplace to the home here and a provision was made to attach a mantel. A makeshift mantel was found in the barn but not nearly what I really want. I want a rather rustic looking 5 inch think 10 inch wide piece of wood the width of the fireplace. Only that will do and I just feel although a ridiculous amount of work involved that I must at least try to do this. Thus the picture above Susan took of me as we started this project Saturday. In clearing the fence row where I am cutting firewood I happened on a 18 inch Walnut tree. So it will be the first effort and I really hope it turns out suitable as I really don't want to do this again, it is way too much effort. But I guess if it turns out OK as I set before the fire and admire it and I know I dam sure will appreciate it...

I borrowed a cross cut saw to make the cuts into the log with to the depth desired then the fun begins and also I borrowed from Phil Burket a wide hand powered chiesel of sort that makes smaller chips fly off the log. Some how through all of this effort I hope to have a Mantel soon....A good action shot on the top photo as the large chip of wood is in the air and the axe has recoiled backward from the blow I gave it to chip it off....good shot there sweet pea....

Click on the title above and it will take you to a site showing the Lincoln boyhood home in Indiana....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great project and the enjoyment you will get out of it after it is done is immeasurable. Walnut...couldn't have chosen better because of its beauty and its straight grain. Save the chunks. Makes good kindling.

Nicholas Jackson said...

Jack

Love the BLOG

When are we going to see a review of the new W book (George W. Bush Descision Points).

I would love to have a Marine's viewpoint on the book. I found it moving and inspirational.

One of your son's friends