Thursday, October 29, 2009

Persimmons and wet corn....(186)

Well this harvest is somewhat "frustrating" for me at least. My soybeans are done and that is good as these rains keep coming which is not good for soybean harvest conditions...But now the corn is next and that is not going so good. I have all of my corn contracted .to the Tate and Lyle corn sweetener plant here in Lafayette. And they like to have the moisture content on the corn coming in at 18% or lower. A week ago I took samples in from two of my driest fields. It tested 19% and 21%. I told them well I guess I will work on my house for a week and see what happens. I did that and guess what happened the moisture did not go down. I took samples in today and it was the same, so here I set waiting for better drying weather. But I had other harvest that needed done and that was picking persimmons and today I got the last of them, about 4 to 5 gallons. Last week I picked 3 gallons of persimmons and squeezed them, run them through the colendar and I got 1 gallon of pulp to make goody stuff like persimmon pudding with. Last year sweet pea did some for thanksgiving and it was DYNOMITE...Really good stuff so I know what I am doing here, I am gather goodness to be had at some later date. I can not wait, I kid you not Persimmon Pudding is just borderline "too good". But I figure, hey you don't have to eat all of it at Thanksgiving and Christmas. You can spread this stuff out, have some at Easter time, First day of spring, 4th of July whatever as good as that stuff is whatever day you pick will be a good one...So tomorrow I will get the pulp from them and should get about a gallon and a half of the sweet goodness and into the freezer it will go.

The persimmon picking today was kind of a war between me and the little beetles that seem to be everywhere these days. They kind of look a little like lady bugs maybe, but they are basically pains in the ass, as far as I am concerned. They were on a lot of the persimmons, did not notice them 10 days ago or so when I picked the first of the crop...But today I had to blow them off a lot of the persimmons before dropping them into the bucket...I will need to check them good tomorrow before squeesing them...Sweet pea will not tolerate beetles in the pulp. I just killed two of them crawing up the inside of my sweet shirt. I crunched them with my fingers, they should have stayed outside.

I mowed my lawn today also for the "last" time this year. I think the two favorite times to mow your lawn are the first and last time each year. In between well it's fun but not as much fun as the first and last times. I noticed the trees are telling us that winter is just around the corner here in Indiana. The cypress needles are turning brownish in color. I should take picture as it is pretty. Some of the trees have lost the leaves some are just beginning to fall, but it all says, "get ready", winter is coming. I don't like winter, I guess it reminds me that we are all mortal maybe, I don't know but I don't like winter at all. I guess the only good thing about winter is spring coming next, that I like, I like it a lot.

OK amigo's that does it for tonight....semper fi.....

PS... just got an email from Shirley Claiborne in Florida. She tells me my lemon tree is loaded.
My God will this harvest season ever end? Well maybe the neighbors will use them up before I get there...I hope so the thing I really like about that lemon tree is when it blooms in Feb and March..the fragrance is pure heaven.

No comments: