Tuesday, October 25, 2011

318 Fishing the Mighty Little Calumet River and Mighty Macs

Well here I was last week at this excellent camp site in the wooded area of the National Dunes Park. When Susan and I were there a month ago we happened on a couple fishing for Trout and Salmon. It sure sounded exciting so as soon as my harvest was over I called up there to see how it was going. The person I talked to at the park told me the fisherman were really doing well so last Saturday I was on my way. Sunday I went to that same hole and gave it a try. Nothing happened some locals came along also fishing and told me some real sad news that they thought the season had ended. They said they saw some dead Salmon floating but no live ones. I said well I am going to stay 4 days and keep trying. They said you may get lucky and snag some steel head trout...So I tried but finally gave up on Tuesday. I think I know what was wrong maybe in that the are is on Central time, like we should be, but were on Eastern time. So when I would cast my line at say 9 a.m. it was only 8 a.m. in the river...no way was I going to catch fish and its all Mitch Daniels fault I am figuring.

All in all I still had a good relaxing time. Fishing is that way for me, just being there and exploring possible future fishing holes and at the same time wetting a line here and there, well it just does it for me.

To the right here is the pier that people can fish off of where the Little Calumet River dumps into Lake Michigan. It looks like it would hold maybe 200 people at one time. I figure it may be worth it when the season gets going next spring or fall to just drive up for the day during the week days to avoid the high traffic fishing on week ends...that is my plan for the future. And I did discover a lot of good holes to fish at up stream in the park itself...so all was not lost, and maybe it is not really Mitch's fault with the stupid Eastern time thing...Besides I have never seen a fish with a watch on anyway so how would they know?

Yesterday afternoon I went to a movie called The Mighty Macs....It was great a true story about girls college basketball in the early 70's...Don't miss it as it was really good and good for the whole family to see. Setting was a small Catholic girls college and their efforts in basketball they did not even have a gym...but they sure had the coach and the effort to succeed. Kind of almost an equal to Hoosiers was for the boys....So my trip all in all was a good one. But I must be an honest fisherman...I did not get one single bite in 4 days fishing...but I did boost the economy a little bit....

No comments: