Sunday, June 7, 2009

Rain Lillies are smart, Very Smart (163)

Doggone it they are blooming, the rain lilly's that is, and that is a bad thing for Indiana farmers trying to get their crops planted. But sure enough these lilly's my brother Larry bestowed upon my wife a few years back are telling me its gonna rain some more...In the last few years I have watched these things and sure enough when they bloom within a day or two it rains...Like I say not good news as the last of the acres that lays a little wet just is having trouble drying out and now after the last big rain a week ago, most of these areas now have standing water on them...and now this, blooming water lilly's aka Larry Lilly's.....

I love June because about every flower in the flower beds is either blooming or about ready too...and no exception is my sweet pea...second picture down...we picked the seed on the side of a mountain in Washington state outside Seattle...they caught our eye blooming so pretty, we seen some that had made pods and dried up a little...I said you know I think maybe these would grow back in Indiana and sure enough they have....

OK up date ( June 9) on those Really Smart Rain Lilly's....a day or two has passed since I took these pictures and let me tell you it rained again like crazy...and forcast for sure again tomorrow...it just keeps coming and word is that this is the wettest spring since 1938...that's a long time back, before this guy was born so most farmers in this area have never seen one this wet...and maybe will not again but who knows that is what makes this farming and gardening interesting and fun...you got to be ready to go with the flow..this year the flow is lots and wet...

1 comment:

Ryan Capecci said...

hey can you let me know if those rain lilies are blooming on or around August 8th! thanks :)